Course Title: Moving and Handling Instructor UPDATES Course
Dates: Please see booking for available dates and registration
Venue: Safe2Care Training, 73 Great Victoria Street, Belfast, BT2 7AF
Cost: £95 per candidate. (Note: Teas will be provided, but no meals are included)
Who is this for? This course is designed as an update for moving and handling instructors, who work in the Healthcare Industry
Candidates need to meet the following requirements:
· have attended a Moving and Handling Instructor course previously
· have experience of working in a healthcare/social care setting
· be physically capable of demonstrating good practice in Moving and Handling
What will you get?
· Moving and Handling People Instructor Certificate valid for 1 year
· Guided learning hours (GLH): 10 hours
· Assessment Method: Portfolio of evidence, Practical Assessments
Course Content Summary
DAY ONE MORNING – UPDATING MOVING AND HANDLING
· Definition of manual handling
· Duty of Employers – Health and Safety at Work (NI) Order 1978
· HSE latest statistics.
· Injury that may occur in manual handling
· Spinal anatomy: including vertebrae, discs, nerves, curves, muscles.
· Postural Assessments
· Exercise – flexibility and strength training
· Risk Assessment: carrying out a risk assessment using ELITE
· Plan, Preparing and Performing tasks.
· Pulling and Pushing
· Biomechanics, Friction, levers, centre of gravity
· Working with Equipment: LOLER AND PUWER
· Reporting Injury: RIDDOR
· Practical techniques:
o Assisting patient to stand with one person
o Assisting patient to stand with two
o Transfer from chair to chair
o Using a sliding sheet to move patient up the bed.
o Using a sliding sheet to turn patient in bed.
o Using a hoist on transfer.
o Transfer using banana board
o Use of handling belts
DAY ONE AFTERNOON – TEACHING A MOVING AND HANDLING COURSE
· Learning styles – visual, auditory, kinaesthetic
· Barriers to learning and breaking down barriers (environmental, set-up and preparation, language, psychological, establishing ground rules, building rapport, ice breakers, motivation to learn)
· Methods of teaching – PRESENTER
· Using training aids; visuals, powerpoint, interactive activities, energisers, group work, feedback, roleplay, discussion, quizzes.
· Using Moving and Handling training aids
· Writing a lesson plan: SMART objectives, creating a moving and handling lesson
· Assessing students – cumulative and summative assessment
· Evaluation of session – feedback from students
· Self-evaluation and reflection.
FOLLOW UP – MICRO-TEACHING, PORTFOLIO AND ONLINE PORTAL
Candidates can choose to upgrade their teaching qualifications through an online portion of this course.
- Submit a 15 minute micro-teaching session
- Submit a lesson plan and demonstrate use of visual aids and varied methods of teaching.
- Tutor feedback and evaluation